Tuesday 6 January 2009

MIDNIGHT - Complete and Total Fucking Midnight dbl LP / CD


This is a fun compilation from a band that really draws every bit of their sound from the heavy/punk genre of the 80's. Bought it for the fuck's sake from NWN! and what I got was pure Venom worship with tons of punk riffs and a singer who I thought sounded like Fearless Iranians From Hell -guy a lot. There's whole lot of those 80's type of lyrics. Call it rude, primitive, innocent, tounge-in-cheek whatever but with titles like "All Hail Hell" , "Long Live Death" and "Take You To Hell" I really hope you know what I mean.

Mostly 3-minute long old-school heavymetal songs and a few cover songs are present here. Covers being of few less-expected bands. I must admid I haven't heard too many, if any, covers of Girlschool nor Scarab in past decades yet the one I'm pointing out being the most unexpected is probably "Eyes of Satan" by  The Pagans.  A great raw 70's punk tune by one of Ohio's oldest & meanest punk bands. Midnight is not the first in a row to carry the torch of Ohio's underground music mark but, even so, more than 30 years after the Pagans wrote that tune, Midnight does a cool gesture reminding us where they are coming from. I was really positively suprised.
Anyway if you're into real nasty Venom-esque heavymetal/punk smeared with raw analogue production you might want to give this a spin. I say, Hail Midnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment